![]() |
| Missionary Training Center August 1999 |
When I first began to consider going on a mission, I received excellent advice from a very good friend of mine. He and I (and since I am sitting in the backseat of his car in this memory, I assume his fiance Jennifer was also with us) were driving home from church in the singles ward. We were discussing the possibility of me serving a mission and he reminded me that a mission is not a responsibility for the women in the church. President Monson recently gave us the same reminder when he said, "Many young women also serve, but they are not under the same mandate to serve as are the young men. We assure the young sisters of the Church, however, that they make a valuable contribution as missionaries, and we welcome their service." Tim explained that missionary work is hard and exhausting work. Basically, he told me that if I want to go on a mission, I need to KNOW that it is where I should be because without that confidence, my motivation would fail.
That advice began a serious journey of striving to seek revelation. It went on week after week after week. I prayed and fasted and studied and pondered.
But no answer came.
I waited and worked, trying to decide what I should do, but still all was silent. I took Tim's council seriously and knew that I couldn't go unless I really really knew that it was what Heavenly Father wanted me to do.
But no answer came.
I waited and worked, trying to decide what I should do, but still all was silent. I took Tim's council seriously and knew that I couldn't go unless I really really knew that it was what Heavenly Father wanted me to do.
This was a marvelous time of learning for me as I had to exercise faith, trust and patience - endlessly waiting for my answer. But it still didn't come.
Finally, I gave up.
I decided not to go and I went to my knees in prayer to report my decision to Heavenly Father. "I have tried," I explained, "to receive affirmation that I should go... but that confirmation hasn't come in all of this time, so I believe that my answer is to NOT go. I have chosen to not serve a mission."
I decided not to go and I went to my knees in prayer to report my decision to Heavenly Father. "I have tried," I explained, "to receive affirmation that I should go... but that confirmation hasn't come in all of this time, so I believe that my answer is to NOT go. I have chosen to not serve a mission."
And then the answer came.
The moment I expressed my decision to not go, I felt like a light was tangibly going off. Though there was nothing visible in this experience, a darkness suddenly filled my life in a way I had never previously experienced. I continued on in my prayer.
"This feels wrong. Now I know. I will serve a mission."
And as suddenly as the darkness had come, it was immediately gone again, replaced by a light brighter than had previously been there. I never questioned my decision to serve a mission from that moment forward.

Thanks for sharing your experience. You are very insightful and I love that about you. Promptings and revelation are so personally; thanks for sharing yours!
ReplyDelete